Firmware is the computer program that is embedded in and and runs your PM3. We recommend running the most current firmware available:
- Indoor rowers—The current version that applies to your PM3 depends on the age of the monitor (see the Timeline page for more information):
- Version 332 (released July 2018)
- Version 108 (released November 2012)
- SkiErgs—Version 732 (released July 2018)
Updating Firmware or
Installing Beta Firmware
To update the firmware in your monitor, you need a computer, the free Concept2 Utility software (links at right) and a USB cable. Before updating, we recommend reviewing the Concept2 Utility system requirements and checking which firmware version you are currently using.
- Connect to the internet.
- Shut down any other PM applications (RowPro, for example) you have running.
- If you have not already done so, download and install the Concept2 Utility, and then run it.
- On the Concept2 Utility main screen, click Update Firmware. If your PM3 is already connected to your computer, skip to step 7.
- Click PM3.
- Attach the PM3 to your computer with a standard USB cable, making sure to plug the cable in correctly. More info
If this is the first time you have attached your PM to this computer, the USB driver needs to be installed:
- Connect the PM to your computer and wait for Windows to recognize it. Windows may require you to click Next several times to complete the driver installation. Some versions of Windows may not tell you that it has been installed properly.
- Windows may also prompt you for the Windows Operating System CD. You must complete this process before continuing.
- If Windows states that it cannot install the driver, or displays an error message, you will not be able to complete the installation. Concept2 may be able to help, but you may also need to obtain support from Microsoft or your computer vendor.
Plug the USB cable in correctly. Plugging the cable into the PM upside down could result in damage. (See graphic below)
- The Concept2 Utility checks the firmware currently installed on the Performance Monitor and will indicate whether an update is available. If your monitor firmware is current, the Concept2 Utility will let you know that as well.
- Click Install Vxxx where xxx is the firmware version number you're about to install. If a beta firmware version is available and you want to install it instead, click the Install Beta Firmware link. More info
Beta Firmware is the prototype for a new firmware version before its official release. Beta Firmware may include new features and fixes for issues discovered in current versions.
The update takes several minutes. During the update, the Concept2 Utility displays a progress indicator and will let you know when the process is complete.
Concept2 Utility 7.09.00
- Updating PM3 Firmware may erase some preferences, custom workouts, and any workouts in PM Memory.
- Do not perform firmware updates using any form of "virtualization" software. This includes products such as VirtualPC, Parallels, VirtualBox, and VMWare.
The firmware update process depends on a direct connection between the operating system and the USB device. Virtualization software does not allow this direct dedicated connection to occur. Updates performed in this manner do not complete properly and render the Performance Monitor inoperable. If you have attempted this, you may be able to recover your PM3 by performing the update using a Windows PC.
- If you have very old firmware (PM3 Firmware Version 82 or lower) and have trouble updating to the current version using the Concept2 Utility, please try using the Firmware Version 101 file instead (available for PCs only). Once on Version 101, you can then use the Concept2 Utility for future updates.
- Please report problems and feedback regarding the current versions of PM3 Firmware to firstname.lastname@example.org.