When transferring data from your USB flash drive or LogCard to a spreadsheet, the type of file the utility creates is a .csv file (for example, LogCard.csv). A .csv, or Comma Separated Value file, is a type of file in which the data is delineated, or separated, by commas. In other words, the commas tell a software program where the different data elements begin and end.
The utility creates a .csv so that you are not restricted as to what type of program you need to read the file. Microsoft Excel, as well as other programs such as Microsoft Works or Access, can import and read .csv files. When opening a .csv file, you may be prompted by a Text Import Wizard to indicate how the data is delineated in the file. If this occurs, make the appropriate selections to indicate the data is delineated by commas.
To view the resulting file created with the Transfer to Spreadsheet option, you will need to have a program installed on your computer that is capable of opening .csv files. If you do not have a program on your computer with this capability, and you simply want to view the information on your USB flash drive or LogCard, click Transfer Data > Upload to Online Logbook. The utility will read the USB flash drive or LogCard and display the information in the Data Viewer window, which you can then print if you choose.
The Transfer to Spreadsheet option transfers all the data on your USB flash drive or LogCard (you cannot transfer only certain pieces of information), including heart rate information if you are using the appropriate equipment to display heart rate data on the Performance Monitor during your workout. Please note that the Transfer to Spreadsheet option will overwrite previously transferred data if you transfer data to the same file. Additionally, the Transfer to Spreadsheet option will not work if you are transferring to a file that you currently have open on your computer. In this case, close the file before doing the transfer, or change the name of the file the Concept2 Utility will create.
You cannot upload results to your online logbook from a .csv. Additionally, you cannot transfer data back onto a USB flash drive or LogCard using a .csv; you must use a backup for transferring data onto a USB flash drive or LogCard. See Creating a Backup for more information.
Take the following steps to transfer the data to a spreadsheet:
- If you have not already done so, download and install the Concept2 Utility, and then run it.
- Attach a device as applicable:
- Insert a USB flash drive into your computer or
- Connect a PM or card reader to your computer and insert a LogCard into it
- On the main Concept2 Utility window, click Transfer Data > Transfer to Spreadsheet. The Concept2 Utility displays the default location and (if using a LogCard) the name of the data file it will create.
- To change a file location, click Browse, and select a new location/file on your computer.
- To change the name of the file that will be created, type a new file name in the Spreadsheet file name box, but leave the “.csv” extension.
- If you want to view the results immediately following the transfer, select Automatically open file in Excel. (This appears as "Automatically open file in External Application" if Excel is not installed on your computer.)
- Click OK to transfer the data.
If you chose to have the utility automatically open the file and Excel is installed on your computer, the utility will launch Excel and display the spreadsheet created by the Transfer function. If Excel is not installed on your computer, the utility will prompt you to select the application you would like to use to display the spreadsheet created by the Transfer function. (If you have already set your computer to open .csv files in a particular application, the utility will use that application to open and display the file.)
If some of the data is not visible or appears as ###### when viewing the data in a spreadsheet, the data is too wide for the column. Widen the spreadsheet column to see the data in its entirety.