From 1991 to 2003, Larry Gluckman served Concept2 as our HR person—and everyone’s personal coach. Larry had coached numerous Olympic and National Team crews in the years before he joined Concept2, and went back to coaching after he left us. His workout wisdom is evergreen, and well worth reposting 24 years later—with a few updates to reflect that fact that we now have the SkiErg and BikeErg in addition to our RowErg. Here are some effective 30-minute workout ideas from Larry, circa 1995. They are just as fun today as they were 24 years ago!
30 and Out: Quick, Effective Workouts for the Concept2 RowErg, SkiErg or BikeErg
There are times when a short workout is better than no workout at all. Here are a few ideas that will give you a warm-up, stretch and cool down, plus leave enough time to make the kids their lunch or have a cup of coffee and read the comics before heading out for the day. The common thread in all these workouts is the high quality of effort spread out over about 20 minutes of work.
Warm up with 2-3 minutes of gradually increasing effort with a focus on good technique. Then hop off the erg for 2 minutes and stretch the legs, back, arms and shoulders. Now get back on your erg of choice and complete 3 ten stroke/pull/pedal segments at increasing spm or rpm. (RowErg: 24, 28, 32; SkiErg: 33, 40, 44, and BikeErg: 60, 70, 80 rpm). This warm-up should take you about 7 minutes.
Here are five workouts to try: (Reminder: double the meters if you’re using the BikeErg.)
- 4 x 4 minutes with 1 minute easy paddling. Do these pieces at challenging intensity, but not max effort.
- 20 minutes most meters possible. Fast enough to get those meters, but paced well enough to make it through all 20 minutes!
- 5 x 500 meters with 1-2 minutes easy effort between. These are just 500 meters, so should be done a bit faster than the four-minute pieces in #1 above.
- 20 x 20 seconds with 40 seconds easy effort between. These are short, so do them with high intensity!
- Time pyramid: 2, 3, 4, 3, 2, 1 minutes with an easy minute of effort between each timed segment. Intensity should increase as the workout progresses. Hint: set the performance monitor at 20 minutes. On minutes 20, 17, 13, 8, 4, 1, you will erg 2, 3, 4, 3, 2, 1 minutes pieces respectively.
Your cool-down should include 2 minutes of moderate intensity work coupled with 2-3 minutes of stretching and abdominal exercises (sit-ups, crunches or leg raises).
I can smell the coffee brewing.