Keeping Your Ergs in Tip Top Shape
Concept2 ergs are designed to last, and we get many testimonials from customers who have been using their machines for years with little to no maintenance. We really like those stories!
We purposely design our products with simplicity and sustainability in mind. A good once over or tune-up from time to time is all your RowErg, SkiErg and BikeErg needs to run smoothly for a long, long time (and stay out of the landfill!) while retaining its value. A bit of oil on the chain, and the cleaning of the contact points and some of the wearing parts will keep your machine in good order. Some wearing parts may need to be replaced after a lot of use. Never fear! We have many spare parts, with instructions, on hand for all our machines, regardless of age or model.
How often to give your erg some TLC? This depends on the level of use. In a busy fitness center or college training room your machines may need maintenance more frequently than a home machine.
Here are some general recommendations:
Before/After Use or as Needed
- Wipe the monorail after use with soap and water, or glass cleaner.
- Clean seat and handle with a cloth and any non-abrasive household cleaner.
- Clean surfaces of the SkiErg, including the floor stand base, with a cloth and any non-abrasive household cleaner.
- Check cords for twisting and untwist as needed. Clean handles.
- Clean saddle, handlebars, and step pad with a cloth and any non-abrasive household cleaner.
- Check the fit of the seat post. The seat post should move up and down with only light pressure applied. The seat post can be adjusted using a 1⁄2” wrench. Do not overtighten.
*Cleaning Note for All Machines: Do not use mineral acids, bleach or coarse abrasives, or spray any fluid onto the Performance Monitor.
Every 50 Hours of Use, Weekly for Institutional Users
- Lubricate the chain with a little bit of mineral oil, 3-IN-ONE® oil, or 20W motor oil. (DO NOT use WD-40®.)
- Inspect the cords and pulleys for wear.
- Check the tightness of all fasteners.
- Check all six fasteners on the crank arms and pedals for tightness using the 6mm L-key supplied with the BikeErg, or a standard 15mm pedal wrench.
- Check the tightness of all assembly fasteners.
Every 250 Hours of Use, Monthly for Institutional Users
All Three Ergs
- Check for dust inside flywheel with a flashlight. Vacuum if needed.
- Check the fasteners for tightness.
- Check the chain for tight links.
- Check the chain/handle connector for any wear.
- Tighten the shock cord if the handle is not fully retracting.
Check out our website for detailed maintenance information and instructions on all maintenance procedures:
Our Tech Service team is ready to assist with maintenance questions, and to assure you that you’ll be back to rowing, skiing, or riding as quickly as possible. It’s important to us that your RowErg, SkiErg or BikeErg serves you well forever!