Kate Salerno, a member of our Global Team, made it a goal to complete all of the Concept2 Challenges in the last 12 months. As she wraps up the year, we checked in to find out more about how and why she used challenges to keep her motivated throughout the year.
- Commit. Joining a challenge helps you commit to regular exercise. As Kate explains, “My exercise routine had fallen off as it periodically does. I felt like it would be a good idea to get back on track by challenging myself to complete all of the Concept2 challenges in a year. I’m pretty committed to goals, especially once I get going. I didn’t want to let myself down and made sure I found time to fit it in.”
- Remove the Guess Work. Our Challenges provide you with the goals, and there are plenty to choose from. While Kate decided on the lofty goal to complete all of our challenges, most people pick and choose from the many we offer. There’s variety throughout the year. Choose challenges that fit your schedule, fitness goals and lifestyle.
- Join a Team. Kate’s favorite challenges were team challenges. “Watching each of the team members motivated me to push a bit further to pass a colleague’s logged meters.”
- Participate Together or Alone. Kate chose to work out by herself. “I was supported by my cordless headphones and binge watched shows on my iPad. Also, I like to work out in my most raggy shorts and tank tops—no performance wear for me!” For those who like to work out “with” others, there are virtual and in-person options. You can follow Training Partners on the Concept2 Online Logbook and check in on friends, even if they are across the country. And of course, some people enjoy completing meters with a training partner working out with them side-by-side.
- Flexibility. Row, ski or ride anytime! If you own your own equipment, you don’t need to exercise during traditional gym hours. “Morning, evening, here and there—whenever I can fit it in,” explains Kate.
- Prizes. Concept2 offers free prizes for many of our challenges—anything from reusable canvas tote bags, to new Concept2 equipment (team challenges), to commemorative pins. (Prizes vary between challenges and can change annually.) Every challenge includes a free certificate of accomplishment you can download. “My favorite prizes are the certificates on my office wall. It helps me to remember, and I am proud that I was committed and accomplished this goal.”
- Push yourself. Challenges ask you to accomplish feats you may not have thought possible. “The Marathon Challenge was the hardest. I did a half marathon (21,097 meters) on the SkiErg. I really enjoyed accomplishing this one since I have never pursued any kind of marathon event before. Woohoo!”
- Free! Did we mention the challenges are free to join? You don’t have to own your own Concept2 equipment to participate. As long as meters are completed on a Concept2 Indoor Rower, SkiErg, or BikeErg, the meters count! Gyms, fitness clubs, prisons, rowing clubs, corporate gyms, hospitals, virtual teams—all types of organizations unite for our team challenges!
To participate in any (or all!) of our challenges, all you need to do is set up a free Concept2 Online Logbook where you will record your meters. Anyone can captain a Team Challenge, so if you're not yet on a team, you can create one on the Teams page of the Concept2 Online Logbook!
We look forward to seeing your meters in 2018!