It’s important to include speed work in your training regimen, even if you’re a long distance runner. If you need a challenge without the impact on your legs, rowing is a great solution. Workouts can be transferred easily, and as with running, you are in complete control of your intensity with rowing.
Goal: Simulate a track workout without the pounding.
- Row easily for 5 minutes to warm up; get off and stretch briefly.
- Row two sets of (4 x 400m) as follows:
- Row 400m at moderate intensity.
- Row easily for 1 minute.
- Repeat for a total of four 400m.
- Row easily for 3 minutes.
- Repeat for another set of four 400m.
- Row easily again for 3 minutes.
- Row easily for 5 minutes to cool down.